Sunday 23 August 2015

Season 1, Ep. 05

The Wedding 

I'm sitting at the balcony of our hotel room thinking what great timing my next blog post has. The Monday after the wedding weekend. It's pretty needless to say that you are about to read all about my big-not fat whatsoever-Greek sister's wedding. 
First of all, I want to share my view right now with you all.
It is 8 in the morning and everything is so peaceful. For Greeks this is still the crack of dawn especially if they are on holiday. For teenage Greeks this hour can mean the "I'm about to brush my teeth to go to bed, man I'm gonna have a hangover tomorrow". 
So first of all, a massive thank you for your wishes on my birthday. 27 found me on the plane as I was on my way here so I shan't complain. It was a long journey so I took my time to watch a total of 7 movies in both flights. Check out my tweets about almost every film I watched on the flight(s) to Greece. Secodly, let me get this straight, this was not a wedding day, it was a wedding weekend. Only way we know how to. 
The bride, groom, the families and the besties all arrived at the island by the day before the wedding. There was a small fiesta at the beach where she was in white swimwear and with the help of the groom's crae-crae friends, there was a Hawaiian theme and dress attire going on along with a fun choreo moment and lots of pictures. And booze. Oh yeah, booze was very much present all day. But so was my jet lag so we had to retire earlier to our privates while the rest were going strong after sunset at the beach bar. Although I made sure I danced to a couple of summer Greek hits at the bar before I left. 
The day of the wedding, since Greeks make it more of an evening turn into night turn into morning kinda of wedding, we took it easy and did not do much but drink coffees, eat well and lie by the pool until the super amazing make up artist started transforming our newly tanned faces into red carpet swans. Uhuh. Hands down, some of the best make up I've had done. If interested, let me know for her contact dits lol. Hashtag business promotion. 
All in all, the bride had her hair and make up done in her honeymoon suite and as all the close frieds and fam gathered we watched her put on her dress and getting us all nervous too about her special day. And boy was it special. The besties were tearing up, the father was making sure nothing  was gonna go wrong being on the phone to the wedding planner and the mother was between getting teary and making sure we all had our photos taken by a guy who is a beast at his job, the photos he takes are beyond extraordinary. Hashtag another business promotion. Oh and his business is international too. Wink wink.  If you have gotten married or have had a close one get married you are probably nodding along right now remembering how hectic those pre-ceremony moments in the room were for you too. 
35 minutes late, traditionally, my dad walked her down the isle and the rest is history. The priest was reciting his bible rock lyrics, he mistook my sister's name for Anastasia instead of Eleftheria 3 times and I was making sure I explained every single moment of the Greek Orthodox ceremony to my Kiwi partner so he understood every little tradition of a Greek wedding. Pretty sure I was speaking more than the priest during. Hashtag sorry not sorry. 
The party was magical, the newlyweds entered and drew us all to dance with them to their song choice of "Shut Up and Dance" which I LOVE, and next thig you know the party was going stronger than ever with everyone, including my very sober mom 90% of her lifetime, drinking and dancing on tables. So the morning after meant recuperation and laziness at the beach as we all made some serious noise as soon as the happy couple arrived at the beach to join us. 
And now that the buzz is over it is time for us to really get over our jetlag and enjoy this pretty little island of Limnos. See you next episode, TA. 
                          ...Live long and prosper

PS: The bride looked like a Disney princess. And I'm not just saying it because we're related. Ha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment