Sunday 24 January 2016

Season 2, Ep 06


The One With The South Island.


And here I thought things can't get any more "down under". Worldly this title belongs to Australia, but then there's us, right here, a little further down. I have been residing on the North Island of New Zealand and right now I do realise I owe you an episode on this, since I have visited a few locations up here too, but this one is all about the South Island. My latest trip. 

First, a smooth trip down to Wellington to catch the ferry and a few hours later we had arrived in Picton. Funny how Picton belongs on the South Island yet if you look at the map you'll see that it is higher than Wellington. Hashtag LOL. Anyways, Picton's main town, where all the cute cafes and shops are, looks so much like Monte Carlo. I know random, but just looking out at the harbour, with a bunch of palm trees all around that's the image I got. Very cute indeed. Make sure you check out "The Paper Rain Project", a cute shop that sells from artwork to T-shirts all uniquely made using mostly leather and wood materials.

We started our journey by driving to Nelson which was our first stopover. The journey there was pretty, very very green, we made a tiny stop at a river, which name slips my mind, and people where swimming, oh it just looked so picturesque. Yeah, I know, I suck for not remembering the name, but if you're driving from Picton to Nelson, you cannot miss it.

Nelson, is a small city, but beautiful. Just the right size. Heaps of cafes, cool restaurants to check out, most notably 'The Affair' which topped my list after I had that lamb salad. MM. Activities in Nelson would include, cycling, walking and coffees coffees coffees. It's a pretty relaxed city, one night we actually decided to go see 'The Revenant'. But it's what's around Nelson that's worth driving to and seeing. We spent a whole day driving to Golden Bay in the hopes of making it to the beach but the wind was unbelievable. However, it was the drive there that made our day. We stopped at two little towns on our way, Motueka and Takaka, both so lovely, so scenic, beautiful cafes, local shops, packed with tourists obviously at this time of the year. Footnote, it is summer here, remember? So yeah, Motueka, Takaka, remember those two little Maori named places. Worth it.

Next week, Kaikoura. Our second stopover before the big city of Christchurch. MWAH

On the ferry...entering the South Island
Picton
By the river...
The river on the way to Nelson
Nelson Park

No comments:

Post a Comment